Jun 11, 2012

breaking tradition

When I married the Mr., I married into a tradition:
a carrot cake tradition!
The LaFuzes LOVE their carrot cake, and they have a family recipe to back up their love.  In my quest to eat healthy and keep the Mr. on a healthy track, I had to break the tradition in order to make him a special birthday treat.  That meant finding a recipe with not nearly as many calories as the original but with the same great taste.  And looking at the picture above is just evidence to how moist and carrot-y they are.  

 
Waist Friendly Carrot Cake Cupcakes (as long as you eat just one)

Ingredients:
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. grated carrot (about 4)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
6 Tbst. softened butter
3 large eggs 
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. low-fat buttermilk



As I was baking I realized that I only had Christmas cupcake liners. Let's just call it Christmas in July err...June!

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt together, stirring with a whisk.  Stir in the grated carrot and set aside.
3. Place sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl.  Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Stir in the vanilla.  
4. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
5. Pour batter into a lined cupcake pan.  I use a 1/4 c. measuring spoon to ensure they are all pretty much equal.  
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes.  
(I first baked them for 18 minutes and they were still goey, and at 22 minutes they were perfect!)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. light cream cheese
2 Tbsp. softened butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
3 c. powdered sugar
chopped pecans

Combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl with a mixer.  Gradually add in powdered sugar and mix until completely combined.  Try to get just a bit on your fingers so you can gladly lick it off :)


The end product: delish!

At first he was pretty apprehensive and not too thrilled that I broke tradition.

But the taste test proved worthy of a giant smile.  He consumed 2 more!  Eeks..well I guess they're good for a pretty picky carrot cake consumer.  

Bon app├ętit!

1 comment:

  1. I love and adore carrot cake! I am so excited to try out this recipe...Thank you! =)

    Thank you for the sweet words on my blog...you are a sweetheart.

    Come back by later this week for an awesome Pete the Cat giveaway. I would love for you to follow me and be a part of it!

    Bloggy blessings Jamie! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...